Sunday, January 29, 2012

Is Teaching A Good Fit For Me?


Teaching is definitely a good fit for myself. I have always known that I wanted to follow in the footsteps of my parents and grandparents and become a teacher. Since teaching runs in my family, I have grown up with a tremendous passion for education and cannot picture myself doing anything else. I love working with kids of all ages and I enjoy motivating them to express themselves through their activities and games. I coach a lot of lacrosse camps over the past few summers, which has also strengthened my passion for teaching. Knowing that your camper or student understands what you are explaining to them and watching them do it correctly the next time is one of the most rewarding aspects of being a teacher. I enjoy spending time and helping them to become a better lacrosse player, or student in the classroom because I believe that everyone can be physical fit and capable of achieving anything. I believe in fitness and nutrition, and as a physical education teacher I believe that everyone is able to reach specific fitness and nutritious goals for themselves. Teaching is a great fit for me, I wouldn’t want to be doing anything else. 

In order to be a successful teacher, there are many traits that one must posses. A teacher cannot just walk into a classroom and be dull. They must be lively, unique, and personable in order to relate to the students. The students will feed off a teacher’s energy, therefore if a teacher comes in uninteresting and dreary, that is how the students are going to react and behave in the class. Student’s react based on the teacher’s energy and presence in the classroom, which is why being personable, energetic, and active are such important traits to influence among your class. Listening and understanding are two other extremely important traits. The student’s are going to most likely look to you, their teacher, as their role model. It is important to listen to what your students have to confide in with you, along with being understanding of their situations. Every student has their own dilemmas whether it may be at home, in school, or dealing with friends. However their trust and respect is important, which can be gained by simply listening to them and putting yourself in their shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment