Monday, March 19, 2012

Midway 355 Observations

This past week has marked the midway point for my 355 observations at Parker Elementary School in Cortland NY. I have observed nine hours of elementary physical education over a course of time and I already have learned so much about physical education in the elementary years. I have never really worked with younger students for a long period of time, which was why I was nervous in the beginning. I did not know how I was going to be successful connecting with students that were so young and dependent upon what I was teaching them. I quickly learned that there was nothing to be nervous about and that if I was just simply myself and taught my style of physical education, then I would be successful. Immediately I was able to connect with the students and asses their skill levels. I became aware of their strengths as well as their weaknesses and I got to know the students on an individual basis. There are several students that are much more gifted in the skill department compared to others, however their is much to still be learned. I also learned several lessons on how to maintain behavior and how to control situation when a student becomes out of control. My host teacher has been a great example and mentor so far and I look forward to spending the next few weeks with him. Learning from great teachers really does make a difference and impact my outlook on the type of teacher that I hope to become in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment